The Tulane Peace Corps Prep Program is designed for student interested in post-graduate service the Peace Corp or other year-long service programs. Over the three years of the program, students will complete curricular, co-curricular, and international activities that will enhance their skills and knowledge and clarify their commitment to international service. Student must apply for participation in the program during the spring semester of their first year.
Peace Corps Prep Program Curriculum
To complete the PCP progam, students will
- Complete Peace Corps Prep CRDV Course offered in the fall semester (Thursdays, 12:30-1:30 pm) *new for 2018 cohort, but open to other PCP participants if seats are available.
- Successfully complete 4 semesters (or the equivalent) of coursework in a foreign language relevant to Peace Corps service (Spanish and French are particularly encouraged);
- Participate in a summer, semester, or year-long study abroad program where your foreign language is spoken;
- Complete three courses, two of which must be at the 2000 level or above, to complement their major field of study;
- Complete the Public Service Graduation Requirement;
- Meet with your Peace Corps Prep Advisor at least once a semester (when abroad, you will submit a reflection entry);
- Participate in co-curricular activities focused on important issues in international development and cross-cultural understanding.
- Recognition of successful program completion upon graduation.
- Guidance from the Peace Corps Prep Program Coordinator as you select from academic and co-curricular opportunities that will prepare you to apply to serve in the Peace Corps or other international service program.
- Opportunities to hear from Returned Peace Corps Volunteers about their experiences.
- Participation in a community committed to international understanding and service.
Second semester first-year students at Tulane are eligible to apply for the program, and ALL majors are welcome.
In addition to describing your plans for language study, study abroad, and course of study, the application requires two short essays, a resume, and a transcript. The complete the online application is available here.